Big Topic of Help

General game help topics.
Galowyn

Big Topic of Help

Post by Galowyn »

Hey everyone not sure how many people use these forums but going to complie all the good help info from the wotmud forums help section here since it has a nasty habbit of getting removed on those forums.

My PDF Guide for newbies
My Youtube Video on how to start a character and get to lvl 3

Rp Tips

Code: Select all

There are two main lessons I have been taught, and am still learning.

1. Never force others to act.
2. Never show others what they can not know.

That means, I should not emote anything like:
> emote wonders what's going on. (Breaks rule 2)
> emote scrunches up his eyebrows, making you wonder what he's doing. (Breaks rule 1)

Better:
> emote scrunches up his eyebrows, and scratches his head.
> emote paces back and forth, muttering quietly
> emote sits down putting resting his chin in his hand and closes his eyes.

Each of these hopefully imply that I am thinking, or confused, or pondering without actually using those words. To RP (and dare I say it, write a book/story) well, you want to show these emotions as much as possible, instead of just telling the reader/other player that I feel tired.

As far as IC mails, with Carn, I have mostly mailed Aes Sedai or fellow Valon. As such, I always use a title (e.g. Alayla Sedai, or even Alayla Aes Sedai if very formal mail), and close with my full title. Sometimes, I'll put a short line at the top. The rest of the message, I just write as if it was from Carn, like any normal message. As Carn is educated and has lived in Tar Valon for a long time now, he can actually spell, and use proper grammar. A young girl wanting to become a novice might not though be able to spell correctly or use proper grammar (though for the sake of whoever reads your message, don't purposefully make spelling/grammar too bad!)

As an example:

> A sealed scroll of parchment lies on the desk.

Dear Alayla Aes Sedai,

Today, Novice Melete declared herself a Darkfriend in front of me, and then attacked me. I report this to you, as this is a Tower matter which I believe the Hall will want to address. She has already been warranted for the assault, but she ported away before I could apprehend her.

In the Light,
Carn, Flame Guard for the Valon Guard

Hope this helps!
Fishing Tips

Fairly recently a young woman asked me how to fish. Naturally, I told her what I knew of fishing. Later, because she was not rewarded for the one she caught and gave to the Watch Hill town crier, she asked if there were different kinds of fish and whether this crier wanted a certain kind of fish. This got me to thinking further on the subject and did some research on fish and fishing. Below are the results of this study.

Fish Varieties:
silvery fish
small silvery fish
large silvery fish
small school of fish
piranhas
silverpike
blue shark

Fish to Catch:
silvery fish
small silvery fish
large silvery fish
small school of fish

Weight: 0.1 lbs (all types)

Nutritional Value:

1 fish is consumed in 12 nibbles
    2 fish make a full meal.

Fish Locations:
Fish are found in various streams, fords and rivers around the world. In some, you may wade into the water, however, other places will require a canoe or a raft.

Fishing:
To catch fish, you must have a fishing net and be in a room with fish. Once you locate a suitable fishing spot, drop the net and wait. Either the fish will dash away startled or you will be able to haul in the net full of fish.

One caution while fishing, if it turns night between dropping the net and either catching something or startling the fish, if you are not holding a light the net will be lost. Be aware of the time and hold a light early.

Fishing for Profit:
You may sell your fish to any of the various fishmongers located in or around the cities and villages of the world by giving the fish to the fishmonger.

Supplemental:
In the end, the Watch Hill town crier actually wants a fish scalp, not a caught fish.
Info on Ride Skill

Ride Lvl 	Practice % 	OB1 	DB2 	Special Effects
Lvl 0 	0-13% 	n/a 	n/a 	Unable to ride or lead a mount.
Lvl 1 	14-27% 	5 	-10 	Can ride and lead mounts.3
Lvl 2 	28-13% 	6 	-9 	???
Lvl 3 	42-55% 	7 	-8 	Can fight and charge (anything else?) while mounted.
Lvl 4 	56-69% 	8 	-7 	Once led, mounts will no longer refuse to follow.4
Lvl 5 	70-83% 	9 	-6 	Automatically intercept attacks against mount.5
Lvl 6 	84-97% 	10 	-5 	Can bash and autotrack while mounted.
Lvl 7 	98-99% 	11 	-4 	4 lines of autotrack